Waitloss ticker

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I am now a Banded Woman

Surgery went on time, 10am. The Dr. was out talking to Phil at 10:45 am. And I was in recovery by 11:10 or so. Could not see the clock very well with out my glasses and besides I was still a bit groggy.

Around noon, I went over to the short stay unit. My shoulder was hurting as well as my neck from the gas they use to extend the tummy area. Not to say my tummy hurt! OMG it felt like someone used me as a punching bag. Part of the reason my tummy area hurts so bad is they repaired a really big hiatal hernia! My Dr. said it was one of the largest he ever had to repair and so the pain I have he is not surprised by. Because of hernia, I had to stay on my IV until I left to go home. I almost stayed the night, but at around 6:30pm I requested to go home. The dr had already signed the order so I could have stayed or go home. I had one more shot of morphine and went home since the edge of the pain was gone. 7pm I left. I took a pillow along with me for the ride home and that help with the seat belt going across me.

The first night I was home it was rough to sleep. I got up at 2:30 and walked a bit. Took my pain meds and stayed up for 90 mins. Went back to sleep for a few hours and then I just wanted to sit up. It felt better sitting up.

The pain in my shoulder and neck has gone away by the next morning. so it hurts in the belly! I am sure it will get better over time. Walking does help so does the heating pad. Taking GAS X too for the gas pain.

Sleepy all day of the surgery and the next day. Took a shower on day two early evening and had to go to bed right after that, but I slept a good 6 hours!

So I survived. I had the most silly grin on my face most of surgery day. When I had to get weighed in at the hospital at 289! I was so happy about that! I even cried and my Dr said I did really good prior to surgery making the lifestyle changes and I should do really good once I get my band and feeling better. . Just the fact I have a 2 in front of my weight just makes me so happy! Can't wait to see the 1!

So there you have it! I have 3 incisions. One big one in my belly button and one small one on the left side and about an inch one up top just under my breast. The bandages will be on for 2-3 weeks and can fall off on their own. My first fill will be the 28th of December but I go in for my post op appointment Tuesday the 7th.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear it went well for you. What's a fill? Isn't Adam taking you to your appt on the 7th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adjustable Gastric Banding is adjustable by a port that is attached to the lap band. The band can inflate and deflate with saline. While the band can hold about 4 to 5 cc’s of saline, only small amounts of saline are added each time. The amount of “fill” in the Lap-Band, and the amount added during each fill vary according to individual patient circumstances. This is done in the Dr. office.

    ReplyDelete